Purpose of the job
As Interpreter/Translator within the Family Mediation service in Jersey, the postholder’s principal responsibility is to support the Mediators by converting spoken or sign language from one language to another.
Family Mediation Jersey (FMJ) is a registered Charity (371) which was established in 2013 to provide a family resolution service that aims to help separating couples and other family members sort out their differences and prevent further disputes.
The Interpreter/Translator is accountable to the Manager of FMJ.
- Listen to, understand and remember content in the original source language and reproduce it in the target language.
- Provide consecutive and simultaneous interpretation between languages and express exact interpretation including difficult or controversial conversations and remarks.
- Work with the Mediators and clients in person or via electronic audio/video systems as required.
- Interpret/translate spoken or written passages from source language into target language.
- Explain procedures and processes used by FMJ from source language to target language.
- Ensure that the FMJ Confidentiality Agreement and Agreement to Mediate have been fully understood so the client has full awareness of the terms and conditions they have agreed/signed up to.
- Consult with Mediators in order to fully understand and convey legal, financial or complex information or concepts.
- Undertake initial and on-going training to gain an understanding of mediation process and policies including confidentiality and safeguarding issues.
- Assist Mediators and the Manager in explaining invoices and timesheets submitted for payment to those with limited understanding of the English language.
- Perform clerical duties and maintain records.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Fluency in both the English language and at least one other source language. We currently seek Portuguese speakers.
- Knowledge of the culture and society in which the source language is spoken.
- Knowledge and experience of translation techniques.
- The ability to translate accurately and quickly in real time without leaving out or changing any information that is being communicated.
- The ability to work calmly and sensitively in an environment where clients may be upset and/or angry
- Knowledge of translation tools and applications used for interpretation purposes.
- Ability to use common computer software applications
- Strong communication skills
- Precision and reliability
- Ability to assimilate information and explain it clearly to others, with particular reference to the work performed by FMJ
Ideally the post holders will possess qualifications in community interpreting and registration with the NRPSI (National Register of Public Service Interpreters) or equivalent body and will be expected to work within the Code of Professional Conduct. In house training will be provided in respect of gaining an understanding of the mediation process, the procedures and policies used by FMJ and confidentiality and safeguarding issues.
The work requires postholders to be flexible as some mediations take place out of hours.
Please apply with your CV by email to email@example.com or by post to Family Mediation Jersey, Suite 7 Bourne House, Francis Street, St Helier, Jersey JE2 4QE.